• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Contributor: The_RevanchistMy long Long list of ideas and recommendations (I'm so sorry)
I will rate each category by its general difficulty to implement from GREEN -> ORANGE -> RED -> PURPLE.

I also only have a basic mechanical understanding of how these systems work, I can definitely discuss these and their flaws with other people though, so if you see a problem, I can help find ways to change or fix them from a mechanical perspective. Code is on the devs though

Some of these are based on discussions I've heard from devs, and will be marked

-=Intent System=-
Planned for Change

For my new idea for a dumbed down intent system (without accounting for skills), the best I can personally come up with is a 3 button system. Two buttons, for the sake of keeping it simple, will be Neutral and Aggressive, name pending. These will not be dissimilar to Help and Harm as it is now. A third button would basically be a toggle from Interaction to Grapple, name also pending. My idea to fit in with this, would be to convert the Disarm mechanic to become more similar to aggressively grabbing someone. It would be a weighted timer based system, weights being a persons active intent (Aggressive being the biggest bonus as you'd have a firmer grip, disarm the biggest penalty as you're looking to grab something else).

The timer would also be a time limit on how long you have to resist before you are disarmed and if applicable, the attacker could possibly instantly retrieve the item instead of it dropping to the ground (Two empty hands would increase success and give a high chance to retrieve the item, also weighted by target's skills, direction from you when disarm starts, intents, etc etc). This would also allow room for intervention with the risk of hitting your comrade if you say fire and he is facing you, also punishing the attacker if he tries to disarm a group of people.

-=Combat | 6 Weeks to 2 Months =- Planned for Change
I havent put a lot of thought into this yet, but if skills are taken into account, you could set intents to be as follows

-Aggressive Interaction/Harm = Speed penalty to prevent running around an enemy making it a spam war essentially, blocks players passing, increased damage than help intent if a weapon such as a knife is present (Make sure scalpels dont gouge out peoples eyes though for surgery...) and can either have a higher chance to dodge attacks or takes marginally less damage

-Neutral Interaction/Help = Average speed to allow free movement, most actions with basic medical equipment and such should commence surgery or other non-aggressive actions if the target is on a table or similar. Can pass through other players and has a decreased chance to dodge attacks

-Aggresive Grapple/Grab = Average to marginal increased speed to allow quick engagement, has extremely low chance to dodge melee attacks but high chance to dodge projectile attacks. Depending on the size of the object in hand (Is there an object size system in baycode?) They may either hold onto the object while grabbing or drop it. Small weapons may provide speed/success bonus on grabbing a target (Knives, scalpels, small guns etc).

-Neutral Grapple/Disarm = Moderate speed increase to allow quick engagement, has extremely low chance to dodge projectiles but a moderately higher chance to dodge melee attacks. Either allow to disarm with items in hand and disallow immediate item retrieval with a penalty to succeed, or immediately drop all items in hands and allow around a 15%-60% chance to retrieve based on skills, targets intent an direction compared to the attacker when grapple begins. Trying to disarm a melee weapon such as a stun baton, knife or similar has an extremely low chance to succeed and if lost, will damage the attacker or stun them.

-=Gateway=-

For a few days now, I've been pondering uses, balances and reasons to have a functioning gateway system, some of which would tie in with another system recommendation for RnD improvements.

-Implementation = I believe if gateways were implemented as an rare alien device that connects to already existing gateways. Maybe either on a daily, bi-weekly or weekly rotation of planets or randomly generated coordinates that a machine can generate over time. I suggest the first option so you dont have to worry about running out of planets or stations in a week, unless thats part of the time it takes to generate coordinates. It could also be possible after discovering certain hidden areas/secrets on several planets you can begin very costly construction of your own gateways.

-Mining = Certain astral bodies including Planets, Moons, Asteroids or maybe abandoned (read as: Inhabited by ALIIEEENNNSSSS) supply depots can be a source for business to claim and beginning mining operations as a new revenue. I think as a balance you must be a licensed business to engage in mining operations, otherwise you could be fined or have your mining assets seized.

-Research (Can me implemented over time) = As mentioned earlier, new discoveries could lead to new exotic research into weapons, life support, energy generation or other technologies. For weapons I have a new system I think could be intergrated as a lego-based design system where you have to match compatible parts in a cosmetic frame to create a functioning design(read as: Doesnt explode after 2 shots) that can then be manufactured.

-Combat = If special events such as an alien hive, mind altering/toxic/poisonous atmospheres were added to gateway exploration, this would create a true purpose for military or security contracting that I think is very needed. Small skirmishes could also be held against other businesses for control over the area.

-COLONIZATION!!! = Even if a planet isnt completely habitable, domes or terra-forming could be used to create corporate colonies on prospect worlds, still thinking about this one

-=Sectors (Tactical Sectors?)=- Unlikely to be fully implemented, maybe if Unity Station becomes popular and codebases get moved
(I will be refering to each seperate 35x35 grid as a grid and each point of that grid as a sector)
As I am sure everybody on the coding team is aware, Baycode comes pre-equipped with a sector based movement system in space. The main reason its not currently used is the inherent incompatibility with multiple shuttles which current incorporate transit zones to move, on top of other issues

-Implementation = My basic understanding of how this could work is first, any departing shuttle would first have to do as it does now, and transit to a new zone. This zone would probably just be titled Deep Space and act as a staging point to allow for piloting through sectors as it would be detached from whatever station it was docked to. You could then fly to the same sector as another station, and transit from deep space to the new station. This is similar to how shuttles move to planets from the main ship on Baystation

-Trade Routes = With the current way sector-based hazards work, you could create pre-arranged gateways/corridors between the points where maps connect, as you go from grid to grid. Meteors from the original code would work well to discourage travel into this hazards, but other solutions could be created as well.

-Planets/Colonization/Mining = I believe if you were to create a pre-arranged set of planets as well, this could both fit in with the gateway system, or as an independent function with gateways maybe leading to extremely far away planets (So far ship travel would be impossible). Anyways, for some planets, it would be possible to surround them in hazards such as ion storms, meteors or others, depending on the value of the planet. Alien life, colonies and such would also be possible... GROUND BASED SHIPYARDS, ANYONE!?

-Blockades = Self explanatory for why, blocking trade routes or access to certain stations, planets etc. Could probably add a module/console on ships that creates an event in that sector forcing any shuttle passing by to automatically transit to the ship's docking port. This also ties in with my next idea for more clarification. Might have trouble with multiple shuttles however

-Ship Classes = This would be a pretty big thing to work on, as the way I foresee it, would involve incorporation with the previously mentioned planetary shipyards (For the 3rd, largest class). The first class would stay as it is now, a shuttle, freighter, whatever you wish to call it. The second class would be similar to that of a corvette, slightly larger, more firepower and could probably also fit into the same docking ports, worst case, maybe a new docking level? These could likely be multi-deck, the main deck and the cargo/engineering/whatever else the ship requires. Just a thought there though. The third class I think would be best suited as a planetary shipyard required ship, being too large to even dock with most space-docks, unless the dock is heavily specialized to do so. These could possibly be very expensive cruisers with 2-3 decks, 1-2 docks for docking small shuttles (One for the cruisers personal shuttle for docking, cargo, personnel etc, one for capturing enemy shuttles in a blockade. Maybe a single large one for a corvette MAYBE? Depends how big they are)

-Side Notes = Larger ships would probably need a way to self destruct securely, as well as a method of other shuttles to board it, probably with other external docking ports. Unless players are forced to use pre-approved layouts (Another idea, companies can design layouts, get them approved IC or OOC with admins before they can be built/bought by other companies).

Cruisers would require ways to assault other cruisers, again, likely by sending a boarding party unless a method is devised to have 2 ships in the same Z-Level side by side. This would make shield generators useful and other weapons (Kinetic Accelerators lobbing explosives, boarding troops, etc)

I am working on a better way to implement the skill system into Persistence so that it can work with jobs, gradual skill gain/loss, other systems, etc

Stay tuned!
Quote:For a few days now, I've been pondering uses, balances and reasons to have a functioning gateway system, some of which would tie in with another system recommendation for RnD improvements.
-Implementation = I believe if gateways were implemented as an rare alien device that connects to already existing gateways. Maybe either on a daily, bi-weekly or weekly rotation of planets or randomly generated coordinates that a machine can generate over time. I suggest the first option so you dont have to worry about running out of planets or stations in a week, unless thats part of the time it takes to generate coordinates. It could also be possible after discovering certain hidden areas/secrets on several planets you can begin very costly construction of your own gateways.
-Mining = Certain astral bodies including Planets, Moons, Asteroids or maybe abandoned (read as: Inhabited by ALIIEEENNNSSSS) supply depots can be a source for business to claim and beginning mining operations as a new revenue. I think as a balance you must be a licensed business to engage in mining operations, otherwise you could be fined or have your mining assets seized.
-Research (Can me implemented over time) = As mentioned earlier, new discoveries could lead to new exotic research write my essay services studies into weapons, life support, energy generation or other technologies. For weapons I have a new system I think could be intergrated as a lego-based design system where you have to match compatible parts in a cosmetic frame to create a functioning design(read as: Doesnt explode after 2 shots) that can then be manufactured.
-Combat = If special events such as an alien hive, mind altering/toxic/poisonous atmospheres were added to gateway exploration, this would create a true purpose for military or security contracting that I think is very needed. Small skirmishes could also be held against other businesses for control over the area.
-COLONIZATION!!! = Even if a planet isnt completely habitable, domes or terra-forming could be used to create corporate colonies on prospect worlds, still thinking about this one

I like the idea of gateways construction and discovering new secret areas. And that's where the prospect worlds could become (most likely) the best part of the implementation. I'm guessing this will take much time to be developed and thought through in terms of coding, but it's worth it.